One Pot Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice – An incredible chicken meal that would excite your taste buds. Flavored with sofrito sauce, spices, peas and olives. So easy to make and comes together quickly.
Not to long ago I shared with you a recipe for one pot Jerk Chicken and rice. Since then, it has become my go-to rice recipe and to put it mildly – the family is obsessed with it. And I am too!
As usually I decided to switch things up and create something similar but with different flavors and ingredients but same old concept that works all the time. Ratio of rice to liquid and searing the chicken with spices first. Then letting the oven do it’s magic.
This is probably not an authentic Puerto Rican dish but it is made using classic Puerto Rican ingredients. And most the ingredients are pantry staple and some are probably rotting away in your fridge.
What makes it s o tasty is the thigh meat releasing juice to the rice. And rice benefits of the juices from the chicken thigh trickling into it while it slowly cooks. Making it an INCREDIBLY flavor meal.
As always, I use my trusted 12-inch cast iron skillet for this, works all the time. An oven safe Dutch oven would work as well.
Watch How To Make It
One Pot Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice : An incredible chicken meal that would excite your taste buds. Flavored with sofrito sauce, spices, peas and olives. So easy to make and comes together quickly.
- 2 -2 1/2 pound chicken thighs about 5
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chicken Goya Sazon or bouillon powder optional
- 2 Tablespoons Adobo seasoning or your favorite chicken seasoning
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2- teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 large bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- 2-3 Tablespoons Fresh cilantro
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 15.5 oz. can Pigeon Peas/ rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon white ground white pepper
- 1 cup pitted olives
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 packet Goya Sazon
- 1 teaspoons paprika optional
- Salt to taste
- Wash chicken thighs, for faster cooking make a ½ " slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt( about 1½ teaspoons)
- Rub both sides with generous amount of the adobo spice blend. Or your favorite spice mix
- Place chicken skin side up in a skillet / Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each, be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
- Meanwhile place the rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and use your hands to wash the grains. Tip the water out then repeat twice until the water runs clear.
- Wipe pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan.
- Add about 2 Tablespoons oil or more followed by onions, bell pepper , garlic , bay leaf, cilantro and cumin. Sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add tomato Sauce and rice. Stir for another minute
Next add all the remaining ingredients, Chicken stock, pigeon peas, paprika, white pepper ,olives, salt and Sazon/ or bouillon .Add chicken, bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven in pre heated oven uncovered . Cook for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove let it cool and serve.