Curry Chickpeas Stuffed Sweet Potatoes- A solid and simple dish that has so much to offer when it comes to flavor. Chickpeas simmered in an aromatic curry coconut sauce. Vegan Comfort food at it’s best!
When you are craving curry in the form of an impressive main course or side that will please the whole clan. Curried chickpea stuffed sweet potatoes will satisfy that craving. It’s creamy, luscious and so satisfying.
Now if you have never tried curried chickpeas, you must! It’s one of those meals that everyone seems to enjoy .In addition, it’s also a delightful way to use up any extra cans of chickpeas that are just sitting in your pantry.
You really want to transform them into something even better than hummus. And this is it!!!
The best part is, the chickpeas are only the beginning! Although a highlight of the recipe, the baked sweet potatoes play a significant role as well. Yes, the curried chickpeas bring the bold flavor as well as some heat but let’s not forget about the potato’s sweetness. Talking of sweet potatoes, I used Japanese sweet potatoes which are more denser and starchy. Asides from the visible difference (yellowish, pale interior), there is no big difference.
When sweet potatoes are baked, they are almost fluffy in texture making them all the more delicious. When that baked sweet potato is stuffed with the curried chickpeas, you have an eye-catching dish that tastes even more delectable than it looks.
You’ll first notice the spice and nuttiness of the chickpeas. That curry powder and coconut milk gives them oomph and the subtly sweet, almost caramel like taste of the potato accompanies that boldness. When the bold and the sweet combine, the result is one satisfied palate. Everything is well balanced and melds beautifully but all the elements remain distinguishable.
Once the final product is in front of you, it will grab your attention visually, entice you with the aroma and the first bite will have you hooked.
Enjoy every last morsel and know that you are eating something appetizing that happens to be good for you. Soul food!
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Curry Chickpeas
- ¼ - ½ cup canola oil
- 2 -3 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1- teaspoon ground allspice
- 1- teaspoon ground nutmeg spice
- 1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried thyme
- 1- teaspoon cumin spice
- 1- teaspoon white pepper.
- 2 cans of chickpeas drained
- 1-2 cups of cubed potatoes
- ½ - tablespoon bouillon chicken powder optional
- 1 cup or more broth or water
- 1 cup coconut milk replace with broth or water
- ½-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1-2 cups fresh leaf spinach
- 2 tablespoons or more chopped parsley
- Salt to taste
- Heat up large sauce-pan with oil, and add onions, garlic, thyme, cumin spice, all spice, smoked paprika, nutmeg and curry powder, stir occasionally for about 2-3 minutes until onions is translucent.
- Then add potatoes, stir and sauté for about 2-3 more minutes. Add coconut milk /stock / water if necessary to prevent any burns
- Next add chickpeas, green onion and broth. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until sauce thickens, it might take about 18 minutes.
- Lastly throw in some spinach ,parsley, adjust for salt, pepper and stew consistency. Stir for about a minute until spinach is wilted .Serve warm
- While curry is simmering. Cook sweet potatoes in your microwave: Prick the potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes is tender, turning the potatoes once. Clean and dry the sweet potatoes, poke holes into the sweet potatoes, place in the microwave and cook for about 4 minutes. Remove , let cook for a couple of minutes Slice open the sweet potatoes and stuff! If your sweet potatoes are large, cut them in half.
Leave a Review