Love the toasty and nutty flavor but don’t like the extra carbs? This homemade EVERYTHING BAGEL SEASONING turns any simple dish into an amazingly flavorful meal. A simple mix of seeds, salt, and seasonings you can easily make in just a few minutes for almost any treat.
More than just the firm and soft texture, my family and I love the distinct flavor of bagels. The only problem I have with making these at home is that I’m usually left with excess toppings.
Luckily, I know a way to utilize these so it doesn’t have to go to waste. Today, I’m sharing with you this Homemade Everything Bagel Seasoning that you can sprinkle on some other scrumptious treats.
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
The origin of this seasoning is quite a blur since a lot of accounts claim responsibility for the topping. However, one of the most popular accounts is by David Guissin from Queens, New York. He claims to have coined the term “everything bagel” first.
This simple mix of dry ingredients is often used as a topping for many dishes. It gives an additional toasty taste to the whole dish without crisping or slightly burning. The mix is actually a great way to fancy up many basic dishes.
For baked goods such as bread, the seasoning is topped before baking. On the other hand, simple dishes are simply sprinkled with this seasoning.
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
What is in Everything Bagel Seasoning made of? We need only a handful of ingredients to make this iconic mix. Everything is dried which makes it easier to mix. Here’s what we’ll need.
- Poppy Seeds
- Toasted Black Sesame Seeds
- Dried Minced Garlic
- Dried Minced Onion
- Flaked Sea Salt or Coarse Salt
Flaked Sea Salt
Flaked sea salt or salt flakes are coarse grains of salt that are often used for finishing or topping dishes. Unlike kosher and table salt, the flaky variant has very uneven grains. Its common market name is flaky sea salt or finishing salt.
There are two variants of sesame seeds sold in the market: black and white. The main difference between the two is that the latter has its shell still intact. This recipe tho calls for the black variant.
A lot of dishes use poppy seeds as a garnish, sometimes even as a substitute for the ingredient above. The distinct nuttiness of this ingredient makes it really good for dressings such as this homemade Poppy Seed Dressing. We’ll use this as it is for this bagel seasoning recipe.
Minced Garlic and Minced Onion
Once you know How to Cut Onions and How to Mince Garlic, you won’t need to buy pre-packed versions again. Both of these ingredients need to be dry. The best way to take out all the moisture is to dehydrate these bits in an Air Fryer. You can also pan roast or bake but be careful not to burn them.
Storing Everything Bagel Seasoning
If you look at this seasoning recipe, the ingredients are quite simple and all of them are dry. The presence of salt also helps in keeping the mix’s environment moist-free. This helps in prolonging the shelf life up to six (6) months.
I suggest storing it in a small airtight container or an airtight jar but leaving a little space on top. This ensures that the container will be tightly sealed so no air or moisture goes inside.
- This everything bagel seasoning will surely do wonders to your avocado on toast breakfast!
- Whether it’s sunny side up, an omelet, scrambled, or Deviled Eggs, this mix will surely bring it up a notch.
- Pretzels are similar to bagels with their chunkiness and distinct taste which makes them a great base for the mix. This pairing brings out the best in both ingredients!
- You’ll love this combo especially if you like to taste an extra nutty kick or a bit of added toasty or charred flavor. Try it as a poultry rub on this Roast Turkey Breast HERE.
- Turn your homemade Easy Coleslaw into a super side dish just by adding a dash of this seasoning.
- An easy dish to pair this seasoning is this Mushroom Risotto that already has a flavorful earthy tone.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of our mix to these Rosemary Roasted Potatoes just before baking. You’ll see a much enhanced roasted flavor that complements the herby aroma.
- Got a simple Brioche bun? Bedazzle it with a dash of everything bagel seasoning to make it picture-perfect for your Ham and Cheese Sliders.
More Easy Homemade Seasoning Mixes
How to Make Everything Bagel seasoning
In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt. Stir until well combined. Store in a sealed jar or container, then use as needed.
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon flaked sea salt or coarse salt
- In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and salt. Stir until well combined. Store in a sealed jar or container, then use as needed.
Tips & Notes:
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.