Grill Jerk Chicken Tacos – Slightly spicy grilled chicken served with a spicy, tangy, and bright homemade Jerk mayo sauce. A truly delightful Mexican-Caribbean fusion taco perfect for Taco Tuesdays or actually any day of the week. It’s downright delicious!
Yes, it’s that time of the year- Fiesta Time. With Cinco de Mayo around the corner, it gives me the perfect excuse to indulge myself with these Tacos.
Last year, I had to make something for my son to take to his Cinco de Mayo celebration. This year, they are not having a potluck; they are celebrating with tacos. It’s going to be a catered event… and I’m not even invited.
If you have something planned this weekend and want to switch it up, may I suggest these chicken tacos?
I’m going to celebrate with these spicy and sweet jerk tacos here. I know you might have a bunch of tacos already planned out. However, this would be one more to add to your repertoire, summer is around the corner. (Ok, let’s be truthful here, I already had my celebration this weekend with tropical flavors).
Yeah! And, there is always Taco Tuesdays. Who doesn’t love tacos?
These Jerk Tacos are quick and easy but tastes like you spent the whole day slaving in the kitchen.
For this recipe, you’ll only be needing the following:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs, breasts, or both
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice
- Jerk seasoning (see my Homemade HERE)
- soy sauce (optional)
- green onions
Jerk Mayo Sauce
- mayonnaise (see my How to Make Mayonnaise HERE)
- lemon juice
- Jerk seasoning
- hot sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
The grilled chicken is made with dry Jerk seasoning (don’t forget to check out my AWESOME homemade version HERE) fortified with lemon juice, fresh garlic, and soy sauce.
I got carried away and forgot I was making tacos and almost ate the whole chicken, without the fixings. Yep! IT IS that good!
The flavors from the marinade seep right through every inch of the meat. For best results, I highly encourage you to marinate it overnight. But if you’re pressed with time, an hour of marinating would do the trick.
You can cook this chicken over the grill or on a grill pan on medium-high heat. Just keep an instant thermometer handy though. If its internal temperature reads 165 degrees F, then you’re all set.
Can I Make-Ahead the Sauce?
Yes, you sure can! Simply mix all the ingredients and put it in an airtight container and into the fridge. This should be good for about 3 days.
Feel free to leave out the hot sauce or adjust it especially when serving this to the kids. You’ll definitely fall in love with the flavor combo in this sauce.
For the taco toppings, you can actually use whatever you prefer. In this recipe, I paired it with mango salsa for a little bite and color. And of course, avocados. I love Avocados and they are a great addition here. Plus who can’t resist the avocados sales around this time!
The beauty of tacos is that the possibilities are endless when it comes to toppings. So go with what rocks your boat after all it is fiesta time! For other fixings, see this list below:
- Grilled Pineapple Black Bean Salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Easy Homemade Guacamole
- Shredded Lettuce
- Shredded Cheese
Other Crowd-Pleasing Recipes to Explore
How to Make Grill Jerk Chicken Tacos
Heat grill, grill pan, or skillet on medium-high heat. Then add the chicken to the pan; grill for about 8 or more minutes on each side or until done. Use an instant thermometer – internal chicken temperature should read 165 degrees F. Let the chicken rest 15 minutes before slicing. Place the chicken on a cutting board. Cut chicken into ¼-inch-thick slices or desired shapes. Serve with the Jerk mayo sauce, tortillas, and tacos condiments.
Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl, adjust seasonings to taste. Tightly cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. This can be made a day ahead.
Grill Jerk Chicken Tacos
- 2- 2 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, breast or both (about 1 ½ pound)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (or about 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
- 2-3 teaspoons Jerk seasoning (salt-free)
- 1-2 green onions, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce (optional)
- Place chicken in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, jerk seasoning, green onions, and soy sauce. Thoroughly mix the chicken making sure every inch is covered with the ingredients.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it marinate for at least an hour or up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Heat grill, grill pan, or skillet on medium-high heat. Then add the chicken to the pan; grill for about 8 or more minutes on each side or until done. Use an instant thermometer - internal chicken temperature should read 165 degrees F.
- Let the chicken rest 15 minutes before slicing. Place the chicken on a cutting board. Cut chicken into ¼-inch-thick slices or desired shapes.
- Serve with the Jerk mayo sauce, tortillas, and tacos condiments.
- Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl, adjust seasonings to taste. Tightly cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. This can be made a day ahead.
Tips & Notes:
- See my homemade Jerk Seasoning HERE.
- Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only. Please keep in mind that it is a rough estimate rather than a guarantee. Ingredients can vary greatly based on the products used.