Jerk Chicken Bowl Salad — 3 minute crispy tortillas bowls loaded with coconut rice and beans, jerk chicken, avocados, spring salad and topped with spicy jerk sauce, a Caribbean vacation in a bowl – no travel agent required. Jerk Chicken bowl salad anyone?
Far from your average tostada bowl, this jerk bowl features this amazing crockpot jerk chicken with spring salad, tomatoes, avocado, as it’s fresh ingredient base. Then you have coconut rice and beans as its filler and to top it off (literally and figuratively) parmesan cheese.
In addition to the coconut rice, where this salad bowl veers from the everyday is the addition of spicy jerk sauce to the mix. Which, my friends, adds flavor and exoticness, setting tostada jerk bowl apart from the crowd.
Did I get your attention yet?
Okay, I’m going to break it down for you.
- First things first, you need chicken. Start with this super fabulous chicken here. Or here or here – I have given you 3 options. Don’t like any of the options? Want it quick? Then grab some boneless chicken, slice, rub with some of the marinade, pan grill and set aside. Simmer the rest of the sauce and you are set.
- Next you need to make the coconut rice – it only takes about 30 minutes to make – I promise you will not regret it. Limiting your carb intake? – no worries, replace this with a can of beans.
- Now the fun part is making this tortilla bowl – it is cute to make and you can do so in less than 3 minutes.
- The rest is easy peasy – fill it up with diced tomatoes, spring salad, and you will be one happy person.
Boy! I must say this bowl is incredibly satisfying with all these traditional Caribbean accouterments. Accouterments? Yeah, I just came across this word and love it.
Now, don’t be hating on my word. Forget about it and make this tostada bowl.
Lightly oil the bowl
Drape a tortilla on top of the bowl and press lightly. Make sure it sits evenly on the bowl. Place in the microwave.
Microwave for about a minute. Using an oven mitt, lightly press the tortilla up against the bowl again; adjust for even placement on the bowl. It will firm up and take the shape of the bowl.
Microwave for another minute, remove from the bowl, flip it upside down.
Voila! you have a tostada bowl!!
Tostada Jerk bowl salad
- 10 inch Flour Tortillas 4-6
- 1-2 pound Chicken Crockpot Jerk Chicken or any of the above mentioned substitutes
- 2 cups Caribbean Coconut Rice and beans
- 1 15-ounce Beans, rinsed, drained, and heated
- 3 Tomatoes diced
- 1-2 Avocado diced
- Jerk sauce
- 12 ounce bag or more of mixed baby salad leaves
- Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- Lime wedges for serving
- 1 or more Scotch Bonnet Pepper Habaneros
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder
- ½ tablespoon allspice coarsely ground
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 3 medium scallions chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice or pineapple
- 1- tablespoon bouillon powder optional
- Salt and pepper to season
- In a food processor or blender, combine the cinnamon, thyme, green onions, onion, habanero pepper, soy sauce, Maggi/bouillon, brown sugar, onion, nutmeg, allspice and pineapple juice or chunks. Pulse for about 30 seconds until blended
- Add about ¼ cup oil in and jerk marinade in a saucepan. Simmer for about 5- 7 minutes. Set aside