Air Fryer Chicken Wings – juiciest, crispiest and most delicious chicken wings you’ll ever have in your life; all made in an air fryer in under an hour. Healthy, crispy and tasty quick dinner or game day appetizer. You’ll be gobbling it down to the bone!
I hear you, friends. For the longest time, I’ve been getting comments on the blog if I can post some air fryer recipes. So today I’m finally sharing my FIRST EVER Air Fryer recipe (Woohoo!) just in time for next week’s Super Bowl game here in the U.S. And boy, oh boy, I’m loving every bit of it! See that plate right there above with the sauce and celery? *COUGHS* I ate that whole thing! *COUGHS*
What is an Air Fryer?
Not long ago, hubby bought me my first ever air fryer that, unfortunately, had been collecting dust. It’s not that I’m ungrateful (I really appreciate the thought. I mean who doesn’t want to be gifted with some kitchen stuff), but it’s just that I don’t feel that connection or excitement when using it.
And so I bought myself a new one and I instantly love it!
Cooking in an air fryer is not really FRYING it, per se. You don’t need to submerge your food in oil (though you may or may not spray or toss it with oil for added flavor) to achieve that crispy crunchy fried texture. What it does is that it has a heating mechanism and a fan inside that blows its air around in a circular motion making sure that that hot air touches every surface of the food as it cooks thus resulting in that crispy texture. It’s as good as the oven or fried ones!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings Dry Rub
Now that you have an idea of how an air fryer works, let’s go to that drool-worthy part.
Our air fryer wings for today are not just amazingly crispy, but are also beyond delicious! It has that garlic, onion and white peppery primary flavors with undertones of heat from smoked paprika and cayenne. Plus a little bit of minty and sweet aroma from thyme.
And guess what do we have??? Air fryer fried chicken that will knock you off your chair in every bite! But if you want to experiment, please feel free to do so. You can skip the dry rub that I made and use your favorite seasoning OR any of these ones below which I can confidently vouch for.😉
How Long to Cook Chicken Wings in Air Fryer?
This air fryer chicken recipe is easy to prepare and comes ready in under an hour. Yep! I was surprised at first on how quickly it all comes together compared to baking it (see my Baked Crispy Chicken Wings HERE) without compromising the taste and the texture.
First, I set my air fryer at 380°F when cooking for about 10 minutes. Then remove the basket, shake up and continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes. This is actually how we render the fat from the chicken wing. After doing that, we crank up the heat to crisp the skin at 400°F for another 5-6 minutes more.
That’s a total of 25-26 minutes, and perhaps about 10 minutes of prep time. See what I’m talking about? It’s such a breeze to cook these chicken wings in air fryer.
Just serve them with your preferred sauce (I love this Ranch Dressing or this Blue Cheese Dressing), and a couple of other snacks (check my healthy Crispy Roasted Chickpeas HERE) and booze and you’ll have one heck of a party! But if you’re like me who loves some “alone time”, you could have all of these to yourself as you binge-watch Netflix. 😉
More Chicken Wings Recipe
Can’t get enough of chicken wings??? I have more for you here on the blog!
Other Appetizers That You’ll Love
- Indian Fry Bread
- Tostones (Twice-fried plantains with guacamole and shrimp)
- Sausage Rolls
- Smoked Salmon Dip
- Pizza Dough + Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Chicken Quesadilla
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Wings
Thoroughly pat dry chicken wings with paper towels and place them on a large plate or mixing bowl.
Preheat air fryer; I preheat mine at 400°F for 5 minutes. When ready to air fry, salt, and pepper chicken, then thoroughly mixed with spices above OR use any of our favorite spice mix we have on this blog – Jerk Seasoning, Creole or Italian Seasoning.
Set your air fryer to 380°F. Spray the basket with a nonstick cooking spray and place chicken wings in the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd your chicken. You might have to do so in batches. Cook for about 10 minutes, remove air fryer tray and shake air fryer basket. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or more. Then increase the heat to 400°F and cook 5-6 minutes more for extra crispy chicken wings. Chicken wings should be brown and thoroughly cooked through before serving.
Remove and toss with sauce or serve with Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing HERE.
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2 pounds (907.18 g) chicken wings
- ½ tablespoon (0.50 g) thyme
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) onion powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) smoked paprika , (replace with paprika)
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) white pepper
- ¼- ½ teaspoon (0.50- 1 g) cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- nonstick cooking spray for the basket
- Thoroughly pat dry chicken wings with paper towels and place them on a large plate or mixing bowl.
- Preheat air fryer; I preheat mine at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. When ready to air fry, salt, and pepper chicken, then thoroughly mixed with spices above OR use any of our favorite spice mix we have on this blog - Jerk Seasoning, Creole or Italian Seasoning.
- Set your air fryer to 380°F. Spray the basket with a nonstick cooking spray and place chicken wings in the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd your chicken. You might have to do so in batches.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, remove air fryer tray and shake air fryer basket. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or more. Then increase the heat to 400°F and cook 5-6 minutes more for extra crispy chicken wings. Chicken wings should be brown and thoroughly cooked through before serving.
- Remove and toss with sauce or serve with Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing HERE.
Tips & Notes:
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Leave a Review