Groundnut Sweet( Sugar Peanuts aka Candied nuts) – highly addictive peanuts that have crunchy sugar coated layer. Perfect on-the-go snacks and even during movie time or while reading.
Ground Peanuts aka Sugar Peanuts are precisely the kind of snack that you eat by the handful without realizing that you have over indulged. Picture yourself – watching television, reading your favorite spy novel and the bowl of nuts are within reach – before you know it, the bowl is empty and you are going NUTS for peanuts.
These highly addictive candied peanuts are color free ( no added color to make it bright), egg free ( vegan) but still have that crusted crunchy layer of sugar. A childhood street food for me, they are known as groundnut sweet in Cameroon(West Africa) and made with only with 3 ingredients.
This one is spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla bean or vanilla flavor and for the adventurous, add a ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper for an extra punch.In addition to intensified the flavor of the peanuts, I reduce the white sugar and replaced it with brown sugar.
You may do the same or just use granulated sugar. Easy to make- groundnut sweet can be made in two different ways. I have tried both of them and they get the job done, but I prefer the one over the other. I will tell you why. Roasting the peanuts first, minimizes any burns you would get from the sugar sticking to the sheet. Use any nuts on hand (Almond, cashew) or a combination of nuts. Just go nuts! 😉
Watch How to Make It
Groundnut Sweet (Sugar Peanuts aka Candied Nuts)
- 2 cups shelled peanuts
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar sub granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla flavor or 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Bake shelled peanuts in the oven at 325 degrees on a cookie pan, single layer for about 15-20 minutes-Stirring the peanuts and rotating the tray for even roasting. Remove and set aside.
- Heat water in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat, add sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla bean or flavor, bring to a boil. Add the roasted peanuts
- Turn the heat to medium high to high, stirring occasionally, until sugar is grainy and crystallized, 15 to 18 minutes. Do not caramelize the sugar.
- Remove from heat, spread it out on a cookie sheet or tray. Let it cool and serve
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a 12inch skillet over medium heat, combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla flavor, and water.
- Bring to a boil, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add peanuts, and cook stirring, over medium heat until peanuts are evenly coated and crystalize. (Do not let it caramelize)Remove the peanuts and spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes for even roasting.
- Remove for oven and let it cool.